Slideshow

As soon as there are pictures to post, this space will be filled with a slideshow. Stay tuned! :)

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

backlog - part 4

Thursday, 5 May, 2011 [letter to family]
Hey family,
So, a lot of this will prolly be in the email I send today, but I can't know for sure whether everything will, so here's a failsafe. Have Erin put it on the FB page or blogspot or whatever if you want.
So, first off, I'm really curious about where the package with my soap dish, TSA locks, etc. is. I hope you just sent it very recently, rather than it got lost. That would suck. Second, for the next 2 weeks, I'd really appreciate some real letters and/or packages. Every other elder in my district have been getting letters and stuff from friends and family, and some stuff from you guys might help with the occasional bout of loneliness. After the next 2 weeks, I'd still appreciate it, but I'll understand since I won't be in the country anymore.
But anyway, since I'll never be able to get this in an email, here's what my days are usually like. Keep in mind, every day is a different schedule, so I can't really put a "typical day". But most days have common factors.
Everyday, I wake up at 5:15 A.M. Most days there are 2 sessions of class, for 3 hours each. The exceptions to that are Tuesdays and Thursdays. Tuesdays are Devotional, and Thursdays, P-day. We have one session of class on these days, and no class at all on Sundays. Meals are at the same time everyday, at 7:30, 12:00, and 5:00 respectively. Every day but P-day and Sunday we have gym, and TALL lab, which is Technology Assisted Language Learning, which is a very helpful computer program. And every day, bedtime is 10:30.
To better explain class, it's language learning, gospel study, and learning teaching skills, all rolled up into one thing. If I went back to school, this is how I would want it to be.
Now, about getting you my journals. I don't know if I'll ever have time in the MTC to type them out. So I'm trying something with this letter. I'm going to pay to have pictures of the pages developed, and hopefully you'll be able to find a way to read them.
So, know that I love and miss you all, but I'm doing just fine. Let me know, by email or letter, how you and everyone else back home are doing. Love you ALL!!!

Elder Duncan

May 6, 2011 [journal entry]
I really spent some time studying the Book of Mormon today. Nothing in particular, just sorta reading. But really for the first time, I paid attention to what I was reading. And it hit me so hard: The Lord promised the Nephite prophets that no matter what, He would preserve their records, and cause that the Lamanites should receive it. And that's what I'm doing!! It's so humbling, and I pray I'm up to the task.

May 7, 2011 [journal entry]
The days seem to be entering a routine, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. But they continue to be fun, filled with learning and new insight into the gospel. Hermano Burrup spent some time today have us study "Consecration, Sanctification, and Sacrifice." I'd never thought of them as the Same, or at least tied together. I've sacrificed so much to be here, but I don't know if there's more I need to sacrifice. And if there is more I should sacrifice, I don't know if I can.

May 8, 2011 [journal entry]
Today was really....normal. Which was nice. Just a church service. I helped pass sacrament. It was great. Then the really cool thing happened. There is NOTHING quite like it. At fireside, the entire gym full of missionaries sang "We'll Bring the World His Truth". The absolute most powerful song we sing here in the MTC. It was awe-inspiring.

5/8/2011 [continuation of letter to family]
P.S. I had to wait for the pictures I mentioned to develop. So I get to add a REALLY COOL experience from Sunday Devotional. One of the songs we sang was "We'll Bring the World His Truth", and there hasn't been anything more powerful to me than being in a gym full of missionaries singing that, especially with the change to the chorus that's on the back. Also, I'm including a pic of our weekly schedule. [Which I (Erin) will try to get scanned and post it later!] Hopefully it'll help.
[back of letter]:
We have been born, as Nephi of old,
To goodly parents who love the Lord.
We have been taught, and we understand
That we must do as the Lord commands.

We are as the Army of Helaman,
We have been taught in our youth,
And we are now the Lord's missionaries
To bring the world His truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment