Slideshow

As soon as there are pictures to post, this space will be filled with a slideshow. Stay tuned! :)

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

backlog - part 2

[I should take this opportunity to note that since he writes to multiple people via snail mail as well as his weekly emails, some information may be repeated. Just thought you should know. Carry on!]

April 28, 2011 [letter to family]
To my dear family,
I'm on Day 2 here at the MTC. Things are going well. The food is good and plentiful. The residences are spare, but comfortable enough. I've yet to find an unhappy person, or hear a mean or disparaging remark. My companion, Elder Houston, is great. We're both going to Guatemala City Central Mission, and we're supposed to go to that MTC after 3 weeks ("in theory", we keep being told). So we might end up companions in the field as well. He seems to be just as quiet and reserved as I am, which is either good or bad, we'll see. It already seems to be good, because I feel the need to be more outgoing myself, so we can learn more about each other. The other companionship in our room, Elder Larssen and Elder Rich, are great guys too.
Yesterday they started us right in, with meeting our language teachers, Hermano Burrup and Hermano Catt. Then a very warm welcome by the MTC Presidency to all 343 new missionaries who came in, who all came from and are going to places all over the world. After dinner, a very Spirit filled session where got to begin to learn how we need to feel as missionaries when teaching, and how to observe how the investigator feels about what we are teaching, and how to perceive their needs. It was a wonderful experience.
So, in short, things are going well. I'm doing fine, and I hope you are all doing great too.

With love,
Elder Duncan

April 29, 2011 [journal entry]
As of today my arms no longer bothered me from the shots. We had classroom study twice today, which was hard. But we all continued to learn a lot, of spanish as well. The two classes were outweighed by our first gym session, which was awesome. But before that was TALL; Technology Assisted Language Learning, which is a very useful computer program for learning our language. We had a long section of time between gym and bed, in which we mingled and learned more about our district and zone.

[This is definitely a repeat from a previous entry, but I'll post it again anyway for continuity's sake.]

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 13:29:07 -0600
Subject: First email
From: conor.duncan@myldsmail.net
To: [everyone]

I Don't have long to type something. Just letting you all know I'm still alive, not starving, and have somewhere to sleep at night.

Love, Elder Duncan

April 30, 2011 [journal entry]
Today was personal study, in which I'm reading Jesus the Christ. It's making a lot more sense reading it this time, and I gain greater insight into Jesus himself from it. Then TALL, which continues to help with the language. Then gym, then lunch. After that was a 1/2 P-day, our first opportunity to do laundry and email. I was very happy to see I'd gotten emails, because I have yet to receive any other mail. Kinda sad about that.

May 1, 2011 [journal entry]
First Sunday in the MTC. And it was fast Sunday. Mission conference was amazing. So many wonderful speakers, which cited such powerful scripture. It put the fear of my Lord in me, that I hope to never disappoint, and also the hope and faith that I am where I need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment